The National Institute for Science and Mathematics Education Development is a research unit and an extension arm of the University of the Philippines attached to the College of Education whose goal is to raise the level of teaching and learning of science and mathematics in the Philippine educational system.
To be a major source of quality information and services for stakeholders in science and mathematics education.
Learners learn most effectively from experiences that are engaging, meaningful, challenging, and relevant and from teachers who facilitate construction of knowledge from such experiences.
Per Board of Regents resolution approving reorganization of ISMED into the National Institute for Science and Mathematics Education Development (UP Gazette April-June 1997), NISMED serves as the national center for the improvement and reform of science and mathematics education with the following functions:
- To serve as a research and development arm of the government in science and mathematics at the basic and teacher education levels;
- In collaboration with DECS (now DepED), DOST, and CHED, to develop curriculum materials and to recommend standards for science and mathematics at the basic and teacher education levels;
- To develop and implement programs for teachers and teacher educators in science and mathematics at the basic and teacher education levels;
- In coordination with other agencies of the government, to develop and implement programs that will promote science consciousness and the development of a science culture in the country.
- Gawad LIDER for Exemplary Leadership-Institutional Category (2008) by the Department of Science and Technology-Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI) in recognition of its consistent demonstration of leadership qualities in “the pursuit of an idea and a performance that generated nationwide impact on public interest in the field of science education.”
- 2006 Catholic Mass Media Awards for the Best Educational Program – Radio for the “Titser’s Iskul on the Air: Third Course” which was aired over DZMM in the radio program Bago Yan Ah!
- Gawad Chanselor sa Pinakamahusay na Yunit sa Gawaing Ekstension (2001)
- Gawad Chanselor sa Pinakamahusay na Yunit na Pansaliksik at Pang-Ekstensyon (1996)
- Outstanding Extension/Community Service Award by the President of the University of the Philippines (1984).
- DOST-SEI also designated NISMED as the National Center for Research and Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education. (2005)